OPP Cyber Saf-e-Drills was a very successful partnership between the OPP and YTV.com. The campaign ran annually for several years with the goal of educating kids about online safety. The website portion of the campaign featured games that made use of extensive animated cutscenes, as well as quiz segments that tested kids on their knowledge of safe internet habits. Prominently featured in these games were characters that I had created for YTV.com several years before.
Over the years I was contracted to provide graphics and animation for 8 separate instalments of this campaign, and it was some of the most fun professional work I’ve ever done. The games and animations, which were very humorous, often parodied movies and pop culture. The first few iterations were built in Adobe Flash, but as technology changed and the game concepts became much more elaborate and ambitious, they began being designed for HTML5.
- concept brainstorming with client
- game and interface design
- character and environment design
- storyboarding and animating game cutscenes
- creating game spritesheets
- sourcing, editing and adding sound effects
- creating promo graphics to be used on-air